Maintaining optimal mental health during these challenging times is crucial. With a global pandemic, social injustice, economic uncertainty, it’s normal to feel stressed, isolated, anxious, and sad. Many have struggled with substance use, overeating, and other addictive behaviors. Routines have been disrupted–schooling, work, social support, travel, leisure activities–and it’s unclear when things will return to “normal.”
Therefore, it’s key to developing and following a routine to promote optimal mental health.
- Accept that life is uncertain, and there are things that are outside of your control.
- Reach out for support–from friends, families, spiritual leaders, co-workers, and professionals.
- Develop a daily routine with a set number of goals to follow each day. Keep track of your progress.
- Identify your resiliency factors–what’s made you get through these challenging times?
- Ensure you are eating healthy, get exercise, and a full night’s sleep.
- Focus on today, and not what tomorrow may bring.
- Celebrate the small accomplishments.